how do you go about fixing this so you don’t become known as a freelancer-from-hell?
I’ve heard of some of the following options:
- Provide Starbucks gift card to smooth things over
- Provide a hefty discount for the current project
- Offer a heartfelt, in person, apology
- Handwritten note of apology
- Eat the cost of the project – no satisfaction, no payment expected
- Offer up your first born (my parents kept trying this, but unluckily for me, no one took them up on it!)
- Ignore it. It’s the client’s fault for not being clear enough
Everybody makes mistake at some point and most of the time unknowingly or out of ignorance. If I had done a mistake unknowingly, I will first admit that it was my mistake. Second I will say ‘Sorry’ promising myself to be extra careful next time the mistake should not be repeated.