Dealing with Change/Transformation Programs for organisations I am constantly managing change and dealing with change.
Here are some of my take aways for managing change:
- Almost everybody is scared of change, even people dealing with change on a regular basis. Everyone has their own comfort zone and managing change is about expanding the horizons this comfort zone. Explore ways to expand this.
- Management and Leadership teams should re-inforce again and again and yet “again” that change is good and the only way to move forward. Only change is constant and the way to future success.
- Link change with opportunities and excitement and remove/eliminate team and individual fears of how it will impact them. Change is implemented for a brighter future. Explore and talk about their future often.
- Get the leaders on your side. Even better get end-users on your side first.
- Empower people to ask questions.
- Leaders need to be firm on their stance on change. It is either “Change” way or take the “High” way approach. Negativity and people hanging onto status quo can be a massive impediment in implementing change.
- Managing change is just not a leader’s role. Empower individuals to be change champions and to be change advocates.
- Strengthen the change muscle of individuals, teams, business units and organisation.
- Implement appropriate and engaging training to the right people at the right time.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. Worse news must be communicated before good news. Link good stories to the upcoming and future possibilities.
- Don’t forget to smile.